Anyone familiar with Eben Pagan's "Wake Up Productive" knows that he recommends morning rituals as a great way to get yourself into the mode of functioning at your peak for the day. Two of his best pieces of advice when it comes to the morning ritual are to drink water and to have a power breakfast that works for you.
Well, I got into the habit of doing both. Actually, by pure coincidence, Eben mentions a breakfast shake made with berries and protein powder. This is something I started doing a long time ago, as it's a great day-after-your-workout breakfast that contains a lot of protein and plenty of energy to get you started first thing in the morning.
Before I get into that, I will give him props for the water recommendation. He suggests gulping down a half litre of water (that's one bottle) as soon as you get up. Now, a lot of people cringe at that idea, but think about it: you just spent eight hours without a drop of water. Do you really think you're not at least a little bit dehydrated?
Now think about this: If you've ever smoked (and I know whereof I speak on this one), the first puff of a cigarette is like going through hell. But we stick with it until we're good and addicted, right? Even though we know it's bad for us, right? Of course. So why is it that chugging back a little water first thing in the morning is so repulsive? Yes, you'll feel a bit oogy the first few times you do it, but is that really a reason to give up? You know it's good for you, right?
So why stick with the bad thing until you get used to it, but you let the good thing go? We humans are stupid sometimes. But I'll tell you from experience, once you get past the honeymoon phase that first big drink of water in the morning will make you feel like a million bucks!
OK...on to the best breakfast shake EVER!
I start by buying equal-sized bags of ground flax seed, oat bran and wheat germ. This is my "grain blend." Mix them all up together in a giant Ziplock bag and keep it in the fridge.
Now, the actual recipe. Use a quarter to half cup of frozen berries (real accurate measurements here, folks). Top with a tablespoon of that grain blend. Pour in about 200 ml each of milk and unsweetened almond milk (adds fibre and flavour without adding sugar!). Top with a serving of your favourite protein powder (for this, I prefer vanilla or orange...chocolate with berries just tastes weird to me. Some brands also carry strawberry). Blend the bejeezus out of it until it's smooth, and there you have it: one perfect breakfast for the active male.
You can play with this a bit too. I like the frozen berries because they thicken the shake quite a bit. I use a hand blender to do this in a cup, but of course you can use a blender. I just like this setup because it's a single serving, and you drink it right from the thing you mix it in.
You know, us guys and dishes. If I could eat my pork chops right out of the frying pan without burning my lap when I sit in front of the TV I would!
Cable efficianados will recognize Lana Tailor as one of the principal talents behind the success of Cinemax's wildly erotic series &qu...
This issue's Man We Admire is Atlanta style and image guru Aaron Marino. I first came across Aaron's videos on YouTube a few years...
When it comes to pure ambition, Sabina Kay is no stranger to working to get it done. Her attitude towards her work (think along the lines of...
"Women We Love" is a new feature where we explore the strong personalities and personal power behind the beautiful women we see. O...
- ► 2013 (39)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Fitness: More on the Four Basic Movements
- Men We Admire: James Hergott
- Dating & Attraction: Why what you think you know c...
- Men We Admire: Damien Gilbert
- Hygiene for Gym Rats
- Square Foot Garden Update
- Reno Update
- Men We Admire: Mackenzie Kristjón
- How Pickles, Chocolate and My Kid Save Me From Mys...
- You Might Need Some Manscaping
- Adopting Anger Management Skills that Work
- Movie Review: Transylmania (2009)
- Political Humor: America To Sue Rest Of World For ...
- Why Lean Beef?
- Adding Mass Action to TACFIT
- The Latest on Aspirin and Heart Disease
- Holy Shit! Ninja bugs?! (that's rad!)
- Summer Project #3: Reno Update
- Content Readers for Android
- Argh! Ants in the basement!
- Because you asked...
- Vince Dishes on Killer Abs
- The Basement Reno Starts
- Free Ways to Increase Your Gas Mileage
- First Garden Salad of the Season
- Living Fierce...on a budget
- Book Review: The 48 Laws of Power
- 100 Ways To Be A Better Time Manager
- Stuff That Bugs Me (In Movies)
- Watch Your Portions
- Getting Things Done: Accountability 101
- Square Foot Garden Update
- What are Workout Programs For?
- Badass On a Budget
- Review: 7 Minute Diet
- Housecleaning Tips: How To Fold A T-Shirt In 2 Sec...
- House Cleaning Tips: Operation Clearout
- How about a Prograde "fitness profile?"
- The Dangers of Fluoride
- My Best Breakfast (shake)
- Is there a Prograde "perfect health profile?"
- ▼ June (42)