Companies are well aware that consumers are desperate to reduce their fuel consumption. That is why the market has been flooded with products that supposedly increase your gas mileage significantly. Let’s ignore the fact that none of these products’ claims have been proved by the Environmental Protection Agency for a minute. It really does not matter either way, because the fact is that there are plenty of ways to increase your gas mileage without having to spend a dime!
It is rather unfortunate that many of these extremely easy ways to increase gas mileage are still unknown by much of the general public. The gas prices and their constant increases have caused the economy to sputter, and have put a lot of pressure on lower and middle class families. It is important for these folks, along with everyone else that drives regularly, to know that they can save on their gas costs without making any extra financial investment!
Many of the methods for increasing gas mileage are quite simple. For instance, did you know that having the proper level of air pressure in your tires can help you to save gas? It is true! Best of all, most gas stations and even car washes have free air machines that will help you to monitor and adjust your tire pressure according to whether it is a bit high or low.
You can also increase your gas mileage by avoiding certain things while driving. For instance, you can avoid using the air conditioning* system in your vehicle, since air conditioning makes your engine work harder, which in turn means that you use more gas. At the same time, you can drive with the windows up on cold days, which will also improve your aerodynamics, and thus, your gas mileage. Open windows increase drag, which causes resistance that your car must overcome, after all.
*By the way, if you find you can't go long without A/C, you can manage it for efficiency as well. Use the inside air setting so you cool air that's already been cooled, rather than trying to cool the hot outside air. Once you feel the air coming through is nice and cold, leave the inside air setting on and switch the A/C off. This will save on energy, and the already-cooled air will remain actively cooled for much longer so you don't have to run the air conditioning constantly.
Another great tip for increasing gas mileage without spending a penny is simply to slow down a bit on the highway. If you stay at the speed limit for most highways 100 km per hour), you will be operating your vehicle at right around the optimum speed for maximum fuel efficiency. Any faster than that, and you will be sacrificing fuel efficiency to get to where you are going just a little bit earlier.
You should avoid doing certain other things, as well, such as idling your engine while you run errands or buy items at the store. It is always better for your gas mileage for you to turn off the engine when you are stopped, even if you are only going to be gone for a couple of minutes. You are wasting gas if you leave your car running, since you have no need for it to be running when you are not going anywhere! You also do not need to “warm your car up” in the winter, as the only way to truly warm an engine up is by driving. If you want it to be warm inside when you get in, try to limit the amount of time you warm up the interior of the car, at least.
These are just a few of the free methods for increasing fuel efficiency. Try these ideas, and see how well they work for you!
Cable efficianados will recognize Lana Tailor as one of the principal talents behind the success of Cinemax's wildly erotic series &qu...
This issue's Man We Admire is Atlanta style and image guru Aaron Marino. I first came across Aaron's videos on YouTube a few years...
When it comes to pure ambition, Sabina Kay is no stranger to working to get it done. Her attitude towards her work (think along the lines of...
"Women We Love" is a new feature where we explore the strong personalities and personal power behind the beautiful women we see. O...
- ► 2013 (39)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Fitness: More on the Four Basic Movements
- Men We Admire: James Hergott
- Dating & Attraction: Why what you think you know c...
- Men We Admire: Damien Gilbert
- Hygiene for Gym Rats
- Square Foot Garden Update
- Reno Update
- Men We Admire: Mackenzie Kristjón
- How Pickles, Chocolate and My Kid Save Me From Mys...
- You Might Need Some Manscaping
- Adopting Anger Management Skills that Work
- Movie Review: Transylmania (2009)
- Political Humor: America To Sue Rest Of World For ...
- Why Lean Beef?
- Adding Mass Action to TACFIT
- The Latest on Aspirin and Heart Disease
- Holy Shit! Ninja bugs?! (that's rad!)
- Summer Project #3: Reno Update
- Content Readers for Android
- Argh! Ants in the basement!
- Because you asked...
- Vince Dishes on Killer Abs
- The Basement Reno Starts
- Free Ways to Increase Your Gas Mileage
- First Garden Salad of the Season
- Living Fierce...on a budget
- Book Review: The 48 Laws of Power
- 100 Ways To Be A Better Time Manager
- Stuff That Bugs Me (In Movies)
- Watch Your Portions
- Getting Things Done: Accountability 101
- Square Foot Garden Update
- What are Workout Programs For?
- Badass On a Budget
- Review: 7 Minute Diet
- Housecleaning Tips: How To Fold A T-Shirt In 2 Sec...
- House Cleaning Tips: Operation Clearout
- How about a Prograde "fitness profile?"
- The Dangers of Fluoride
- My Best Breakfast (shake)
- Is there a Prograde "perfect health profile?"
- ▼ June (42)