You know, it's shocking to me how critics always seem to miss the point when a movie delivers exactly what it promises. Why pan something that does what it's supposed to do? Are dick and fart jokes really so passe that hoity-toity film critics expect the actors to be spouting Shakespeare and get disappointed when they get words like "Twat-o-Rama?"
This is exactly what happened with the Rotten Tomatoes reviews of Transylmania. The 2009 Hillenbrand brothers' romp through college loser-steeped vampire lore received a 0% rating on the film pundit website. But why? Is it because it failed to live up to the intellectual heights established by the first two Dorm Daze movies from this franchise?
Granted, the film isn't the most intellectual fare on the planet. A group of college kids travel to Romania for a semester abroad, so lead character Rusty (Oren Skoog) can meet up with his internet girlfriend Dragutsa (Irena Hoffman). There, one of the crew -- the bubbly blonde Lynne (Jennifer Lyons) -- is possessed by the spirit of a long-dead sorceress and lover of the evil vampire lord Radu (also Oren Skoog). Radu's resemblance to Rusty leads to a comedy of errors, as does Lynne's split personality. Meanwhile, there are plenty of boobs and lots of drug jokes.
So, American Pie goes Animal House in a vampire spoof. Are we bucking for an Oscar here? I don't think so.
Strangely enough, this movie opened to the third lowest box office since 1982 among films opening in more than 600 theatres when it was released in December of 2009. It opened to only 1007 theatres, which in fact made its total take of just over $260,000 the worst ever for releases greater than 1000 theatres.
So what's wrong with the view of other critics? Well, first of all, I take great exception to their reading of the lead actresses. RT gives all sorts of credit to the acting of Musetta Vander (as Teodora Van Sloan), while skimping out on the work of Jennifer Lyons (as Lynne), claiming the latter's only real credential is that she has appeared in all three Dorm Daze movies.
Vander's performance is obscenely over-acted, thrust to the hilt in melodramatic glop that makes Bela Lugosi's Dracula look subtle. The only thing worse was the performance of the three vampire brides (played tragically by Desiree Malonga, Radita Rosu and Adriana Butoi). Meanwhile, Lyons plays her dual personalities with split-second timing and gear shifts at breakneck pace, never missing a beat of comedic timing. Jumping back and forth between polar opposite personalities (ditsy blonde to evil sorceress) is no mean feat. If anyone exhibits their flexibility and acting chops in this flick it's Lyons.
All-in-all, Transylmania is a teen-slasher-sex-romp with no aspirations of being great cinema. What it delivers are potty jokes, weed, some farts, some boobs, and a predictably silly intertwining of plots. Whatever the critics were looking for, they should know better than to look for it here. Not everything National Lampoon is destined for greatness, but it's OK to giggle when a horse farts.
Hell, even Leslie Nielsen slipped on bat crap in Dracula: Dead and Loving It.
Screw it. Here's a trailer:
Cable efficianados will recognize Lana Tailor as one of the principal talents behind the success of Cinemax's wildly erotic series &qu...
This issue's Man We Admire is Atlanta style and image guru Aaron Marino. I first came across Aaron's videos on YouTube a few years...
When it comes to pure ambition, Sabina Kay is no stranger to working to get it done. Her attitude towards her work (think along the lines of...
"Women We Love" is a new feature where we explore the strong personalities and personal power behind the beautiful women we see. O...
- ► 2013 (39)
- ► 2012 (77)
- Fitness: More on the Four Basic Movements
- Men We Admire: James Hergott
- Dating & Attraction: Why what you think you know c...
- Men We Admire: Damien Gilbert
- Hygiene for Gym Rats
- Square Foot Garden Update
- Reno Update
- Men We Admire: Mackenzie Kristjón
- How Pickles, Chocolate and My Kid Save Me From Mys...
- You Might Need Some Manscaping
- Adopting Anger Management Skills that Work
- Movie Review: Transylmania (2009)
- Political Humor: America To Sue Rest Of World For ...
- Why Lean Beef?
- Adding Mass Action to TACFIT
- The Latest on Aspirin and Heart Disease
- Holy Shit! Ninja bugs?! (that's rad!)
- Summer Project #3: Reno Update
- Content Readers for Android
- Argh! Ants in the basement!
- Because you asked...
- Vince Dishes on Killer Abs
- The Basement Reno Starts
- Free Ways to Increase Your Gas Mileage
- First Garden Salad of the Season
- Living Fierce...on a budget
- Book Review: The 48 Laws of Power
- 100 Ways To Be A Better Time Manager
- Stuff That Bugs Me (In Movies)
- Watch Your Portions
- Getting Things Done: Accountability 101
- Square Foot Garden Update
- What are Workout Programs For?
- Badass On a Budget
- Review: 7 Minute Diet
- Housecleaning Tips: How To Fold A T-Shirt In 2 Sec...
- House Cleaning Tips: Operation Clearout
- How about a Prograde "fitness profile?"
- The Dangers of Fluoride
- My Best Breakfast (shake)
- Is there a Prograde "perfect health profile?"
- ▼ June (42)