Monday, July 9, 2012

Women We Love: Katherine Castro

Katherine Castro might not be a name you’re familiar with in North America, but you will be soon enough. The sultry Dominican-born actress and producer has been on the TV scene in the Carribbean since she was a teenager, having hosted and starred in a number of nationally-broadcast Spanish language programs in the Dominican Republic. Since hitting LA in 2007 she’s been powerhousing her way up the ranks in indie film on both sides of the camera, working with noted acting coach Aaron Speiser and honing her skills in martial arts, music, dance, and production. With the pending premiere of her latest star feature, Pulse of the Indigo, Katherine is poised to stake out her place in Hollywood.

Name: Katherine Castro

Occupation: Actress/Producer

Education: BA in Social Communications

How did you get started in your current career track?

It all began when I was a child really, when I was the entertainer of my parents’ guests any time they were visiting. When I was five, my parents enrolled me in a dance school where I took ballet, jazz, tap and gymnastics. At the time, we lived in Alexandria, VA, since my dad was working at the Dominican Embassy in Washington D.C.. That’s when I discovered Judy Garland (The Wizard Of Oz) Gene Kelly (Singing in the Rain), Fred Astaire (Easter Parade) andGrease. I saw these films and thought to myself, you can do all this and make a movie? It swept me off my feet. It was love at first sight. I knew that’s what I wanted to do the rest of my life. I also knew at 7 years old that I wanted to move to Los Angeles to be an actress!

We moved back to the Dominican Republic where I continued with my dancing studies and I got involved in media (TV, film, commercials, production, etc.), but the industry at the time was very limited and I really never forgot about my desire to move to LA. So I did exactly that in 2007! I enrolled in the NYFA one-year Acting for Film program, then continued scene study lessons with Aaron Speiser, voice, singing performance, all while working on numerous student and independent films. I also got into producing which led me to executive produce the short Subject 7, which got picked up and is currently being developed into a feature film. Early last year a writer friend of mine had seen the casting notice for Pulse Of The Indigo and encouraged me to submit, and the rest is history.

 

[read more...]

0 comments:

Post a Comment