Thursday, July 5, 2012

Women We Love: Dani Barker

I bumped into Dani Barker once upon a time through some mutual contacts on Facebook, and thank God I did. Dani is the epitome of how to turn the slings and arrows of outrageous employment fortunes into a success story. Her hit web series, “Starvival,” documents the weird and often hilarious job ads she comes across on the infamous Craigslist while searching for routine acting work. The results…well let’s just say Dani’s own comedic talents coupled with the limitless natural resources of Craigslist pinheads, douchebags, creeps, and just plain morons is enough raw material to make the Alberta tar sands look like a stain on your dad’s driveway. And all of this gold is getting some serious, and much deserved, network attention.

But hey, don’t take my word for it…

Name: Dani Barker

Occupation: Actress/Producer

Education: Two Diplomas for Performing Art at Grant MacEwan University and Capilano University

Stats: Check out my credits and pics within my website athttp://www.danibarker.com. And definitely check out my web series,Starvival, at http://www.starvival.com.

Starvival: (n) The first reality-comedy, web show going undercover with hidden cameras and secret identities to expose the most incredulous people with the most bizarre job offerings on Craigslist.

How did you get started on your current career track?

Dani BarkerI trained for 3 years in University in Acting for Film and then Musical Theatre. Prior to that, I was a total theatre geek and got involved in every single high school production as well as community theatre show including Dinner Theatre at the RJ Haney Heritage Village in my home town of Salmon Arm. Yup, Salmon Arm–that is actually the name of it. [no joke...it's rightHERE]

After University, I toured for 9 months with Jubilations in A Buddy Holly Birthday Bash as Jessica Cowbell. Cool name right? haha.

After the tour ended, I moved out to Toronto on a whim and decided to pursue film and television. I am proud to say that the majority of my career has been created through my daily Craigslist searches for job posts. And this is how I created Starvival.

What gives you the most satisfaction as an artist?

Creating my own work. I’ve definitely cried out of joy almost any time my Agent calls after booking a role, knowing I beat out a hundred or more other girls always feels great! No, but seriously. But creating a project from scratch, all the way to the execution of it, is far more rewarding for me.

[read more...]

0 comments:

Post a Comment