Friday, April 5, 2013

Time to Reboot

So, I've passed the twelve week point in 2013, and done my post-mortem on the first quarter. So far, not too bad. I've managed to get into a routine for my health and feel great. I've kept my weight down and my energy up. I've kept up a social life, and my business life is moving along -- not as fast as I'd like, but that's life.

I could really use a vacation so I can concentrate on my business for a week...is that still a vacation? I don't know. But it's fun!

Anyway, I've taken this week off from training, just tossing in occasional little bursts of activity (like throwing out a set of 20 push ups) just to stay moving. What's surprising is how little muscle loss or fat gain you get in a week if your metabolism is still jacked up from the previous training sequence.

That means, of course, I'm gearing up for the next training phase. This is going to be interesting, because the new system I'll be working is a bit different from my standard workouts. That's a good thing, because I've pretty much plateaued and need a break.

It's called the "Adonis Golden Ratio," and it's by John Barban. On the surface, the program is designed to give you a specific "look" that fits within the golden ratio...I won't explain all that here. But when you examine the workouts and the eating strategy it starts to make sense from a training perspective, because it's targeted to create that look. What's important to keep in mind, though, is that the look is actually the result of the training. So when it boils down, it's still about getting the right strength to accomplish what I'm after.

All along, I've been saying that I'm not getting in shape specifically to look good, but rather to accomplish running the Tough Mudder next year. The look is a side effect of training. Even with this program, that's still my focus.

The AGR program comes with a meal plan and grocery shopping list. Overall, I'm not impressed with it simply because the shopping list suggests things like "1/6 of a grapefruit." Who buys 1/6 of a grapefruit? I understand that it's representative of compiling all the ingredients from the weekly meal plan into a weekly shopping plan, but it doesn't come out as practical in the end. Better to shop for a whole grapefruit and figure out how to use it, I think.

Even at that, the meal plan gives a very clear outline for calorie portions and some much needed structure. My worry, as it always is with meal plans, is getting enough calories. I'm supposed to be getting 2000-2500 calories a day to lose weight and fuel muscle. That to me is a LOT of food -- especially when it's healthy food that isn't especially calorie dense. But I'll do my best.

AGR runs 12 weeks. That means the weigh-in will be on Canada Day. I think that times out rather nicely...some good holiday symmetry there...and a good day to blow on some beach food!

Check it out:


0 comments:

Post a Comment