Monday, July 25, 2011

Reno Update

First of all, I need to apologize for not posting in a while. My folks came down for a visit, which usually means I'm busy doing tons of stuff around the house I didn't realize I needed to do. Plus, it's been about a million degrees all week, and my air conditioner has been on the fritz, so that needed a complete replacement.

Not fun.

And for some reason, Blogger has been running really really slowly the last little while, so this post has actually taken me three days to type!

So anyway, the reno project in the Man cave has been progressing really slowly. I'm not sure why, but apparently it takes forever to order and paint quarter round to cover the ends of the floorboards.

Even though this project was supposed to be completed by July 1, and then by July 15, and then by last Friday, there's a guy in my basement installing a bench to cover the water services. He's also supposed to finish the trim today. They can't find the electrician who has the trim rings for the pot lights.

The owner of the company went on vacation this week. So I'm unimpressed.

We did some painting in the back entrance to match, since the contractors are only doing the basement. There was no problem with the primer, but it was too humid for the surface paint so it bubbled.

At first we thought it was a latex on oil problem, but the primer was latex an two coats of that ought to have done something. Plus, with two coats of primer, I wouldn't expect any reaction between new and old paint.

My theory; and the concensus at the paint store; is that the primer adhered properly to the old paint, and the new paint held to the primer. But when the new paint buckled from the humidity, it was the old paint that let go of the plaster.

Luckily it's only a few spots. So once the a/c has a chance to dehumidify the house and allow the paint to cure, I should be able to sand those spots flat, patch, re-prime and get the walls painted again.

Isn't reno time fun?

0 comments:

Post a Comment